Daisypath Wedding tickers

Monday, April 26, 2010

Getting S**t Done.

With two months to go before the wedding, I'm feeling the pressure.  Thankfully, the major bulk of the remodel is behind us, and with that, the wedding preparations seem to be gathering momentum all on their own. I had a feeling this would be the case, and in order to prepare for this moment, I opened a new checking account at our new bank and deposited $1000. 

The first thing I did last week was email a couple of barbecue joints around town to get a catering quote.  I had a feeling a full blown dinner would be way out of our budget, but for the sake of research, I did it anyway. One place never got back to me, and the other place sent me a quote of $850 for 100 people.  That would be 85% of our budget, so clearly that's a no go.  After a quick convo with the Intended about nixing diner altogether, we decided we'd rather just do dessert, iced tea, wine and beer.  Since we're not really 'cake' people (Well, I am. I'll eat anything sweet.  But My Love, not so much.  And it's about him as much as it is me. Right?) our dessert of choice will be pies.  Lots and lots of pies.  And what is more perfect for a picnic than pie?

Anywho, I emailed a local bakery for a quote and (as of this writing) haven't heard back.  I'm a little familiar with what they do, and have a rough idea of what dessert would cost if we used them. We're taking in the neighborhood of $200, which isn't terrible considering the entire budget for reception food and beverage is $405.  However, there's a little mom and pop diner/bakery on Main Street in downtown Buda that does pie, and on Friday evening I popped in and talked to them about a custom order.  The quote they gave me was half what the other one is likely to be.  So, one of my tasks for next week is to stop in and have a piece of pie to see if it's tasty.  A terrible chore, I know.  But someone's gotta do it.  

Next up on the list: shoes.  I'd been looking online for a while, and found a pair that I absolutely adore. I'm not going to tell you what they look like just yet, because I was there to be some surprise on the actual day. Let's just say they're freakin' adorable, from piperlime.com and were a total of $32.46.  Not too shabby, considering the budget for my entire ensemble is $60 and I already have the dress!

I also went ahead and and started a wedding registry.  I went around and around for the longest time about even having a registry.  For one, it feels weird to make a list of all the things you want so other people can get them for you.  Not to mention we're not exactly spring chickens flying the coop with nary a sheet or towel to our names.  And third, I think Emily Post or Miss Manners or someone I hold in high regard says it's tacky, especially if it's a second wedding.  But just because it's my second time around, why should The Mister be punished forever with mismatched plates and old scratchy towels?  

Friday afternoon I left the kiddo with his dad and made a trip to Hobby Lobby to get the supplies to make the wedding invitations.  I found some paper online that I wanted to use, but as luck would have it, they didn't carry it in the store.  Rather than get discouraged (because with two months to go, I don't really have time for that) I went with plan B which was......well, I just sort of made it up right there on the spot.  And I have to say, I  am pretty pleased with  myself.  I'm still tweaking the final design, but I think I'm on the right track.  I'll post a picture when I have one finished.

While I was there I also picked up some card stock for the wedding favors.  My plan is to cover matchboxes with pretty paper (something like this: http://blog.lilacandivy.com/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/Matchboxes.jpg) and scatter them around in conspicuous places along with fistfuls of sparklers.

So, since this blog is all about budget, let's have a little recap and see where we're at, shall we?  (Oh, and remember that post when I was all like "I"m not telling you how much I spent on the dress 'cause you'll judge me?" Yeah....I had a 'duh' moment when I realized that sort of defeats the whole intention of writing about a budget.....)

So in the interest of full disclosure, here we go: 

Reception Venue Rentals  $80.00             Actual spent to date: $0
  
Food Service   $300.00                             Actual spent to date: $0

Beverages    $80.00                                  Actual spent to date: $0

Cake(s) & Cutting Fee   $25.00               Actual spent to date: $0

The Gown & Alterations   $60.00           Actual spent to date: $11
   
Bride's Accessories   $10.00                   Actual spent to date: $32.46
   
Hair  & Makeup  $5.00                           Actual spent to date: $0

Prewedding Pampering $5.00                Actual spent to date: $8 (brow wax, courtesy groupon.com)
   
Groom's Tux or Suit $6.00                    Actual spent to date: $0
 
Groom's Accessories $3.00                   Actual spent to date: $0

Officiant Fee/Donation $10.00              Actual spent to date: $0
 
Bride's Bouquet $7.50                           Actual spent to date: $0

Groom & Groomsmen Boutonnieres  $2.00      Actual spent to date: $0
   
Reception Decorations & Centerpieces   $40.00       Actual spent to date: $69.00 (white xmas lights and a roll of ribbon)

Ceremony Decorations  $14.00               Actual spent to date: see above
  
Photographer   $60.00                            Actual spent to date: $0
   
Videographer   $50.00                          Actual spent to date: $0

Additional Prints & Videos   $10.00    Actual spent to date: $0
   
Invitations &Reply Cards   $25.00      Actual spent to date: $10.24

Other Stationery   $5.00                     Actual spent to date: $0
 
His Ring   $10.00                               Actual spent to date: $0
   
Her Ring   $10.00                              Actual spent to date: $0

Favors   $15.00                                 Actual spent to date: $12.74

As you can see, we're making good progress.  I still have a few concerns; mainly finding a photographer who's willing to work for, well, er, pie, and finding something for the future husband to wear that doesn't blow the whole budget out of the water.  

And now, for your pure viewing pleasure (and to change the subject, because I'm starting to feel stressed out) how's this for the cutest little fella you ever did see?