Daisypath Wedding tickers

Monday, February 1, 2010

Let's talk taffeta

We have the budget sketched out. We have a place in mind, we have a goal to work towards and we have some rough ideas about look, feel, and atmosphere.

Let's move on to some more exciting topics, shall we?  You know what I'm getting at, ladies.

The Dress.

Naturally, moments after the ring was placed on my finger,  I began surfing websites for wedding dresses.  I feel a little lucky in this aspect of the planning because 1) Big, poufy, full, hoop skirt, lacy, train, veil and bustle; these are not words in my vocabulary. Which is good because all these adjectives often equal expensive. 2) This will be 'take two' of my Trip Down the Aisle, and when it comes to wedding dresses, that's pretty liberating. I don't think anyone really expects you to don the full marriage regalia when it's your second time. This makes me lucky because I can eliminate about 90% of the bridal wear that's available out there and narrow my sights to alternative (read: less expensive) options.

In a perfect world, I'd have nothing but time on my hands and I'd be making my own wedding dress right now. I mean, talk about affordable.  Ten buck, tops, for a pattern and maybe $40 for some yardage of really nice shantung silk. I'd actually come in under budget for the dress.  I enjoy sewing, and while I'm nowhere near an expert seamstress, I think with the right pattern (and a lot of hand holding and encouragement) I'd be fine. However, as you recall, we have a two year old and he comes first and that means that on average, I have about 7 minutes of time to focus on hobbies each week. Quite often, most of that time gets used up going to the bathroom instead. I haven't entirely written off the idea of making the dress myself, but it will take some serious strategic maneuvers to make it happen. So while I fantasize in the pages of Butterick and McCalls, I've also got one finger on ebay and craigslist, just to keep my options open. And just for fun, I'm planning a trip to some bridal boutiques to try on dresses.  You know, just to get ideas on shape and fit and style and all that.  And maybe squeal with girlfriends and jump up and down a little. I might be someone's mother, but I'm still a girl.

So I'm flipping through some bridal magazines (that do NOT count as part of the budget, thankyouverymuch, as I intend to cobble them together and make a booster seat out of them) to see what's new and hip and trendy and fashionable these days and let me tell you.  Not much.  I guess the word in 'bridal' is still big, and full, and white, or ecru or eggshell or champagne or ivory or, well, you get the idea.  And I have to wonder: when did emulating meringue become the desired look for your wedding day?  So off I went to do some research.  I'll spare you the detailed history of the wedding dress, because I figure if you're really curious you can read Wikipedia for yourself.  But you know what?  White is a relatively contemporary thing for wedding dresses. And contrary to popular belief, it's not necessarily associated with purity and virginity (that's what blue is for, apparently).  We can thank Queen Victoria in the 1840's for having some white lace she wanted to use and thereby starting a trend.  It became a status thing among the elite, to say, 'Look at me. I'm so rich I can wear this totally impractical white dress that I'll never wear again because it would get dirty and ruined." As apposed to the middle class gal who would have to settle for a nice dress she could wear again and again because it's all she could afford.  So, on that note, I'll leave you with this uplifting little ditty I found, also courtesy of Wikipedia:


Married in white, you will have chosen all right. Married in grey, you will go far away. Married in black, you will wish yourself back. Married in red, you’ll wish yourself dead. Married in blue, you will always be true. Married in pearl, you’ll live in a whirl. Married in green, ashamed to be seen. Married in yellow, ashamed of the fellow. Married in brown, you’ll live out of town. Married in pink, your spirits will sink.”